This corn chowder is a very frequent soup in our house. It is creamy and has Mexican inspired flavors. I never want another corn chowder after having this one! It is a hit with all our friends and others have added it to their frequent dinner rotations as well. It is also easily scalable to serve to big groups.
See the instagram post here
What you’ll need for this chowder
- Heavy bottomed pot like a dutch oven
- Cutting board
- Chef knife
- Wooden spoon
- High speed blender or food processor
Ingredients For Corn Chowder:
- Sweet onion
- Poblano peppers
- Frozen corn
- Stock or water
- Half n half
- Pepperjack cheese
- Cotija cheese
- Salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes
- Toppings like croutons and roasted veggies
How to make this Corn Chowder
Melt the butter and cook the onions and poblanos down.
Add in the cilantro and 1.5 bags of corn and stock/water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low simmer.
Pour the soup into a food processor or high speed blender and blend until smooth (be careful with hot soup!). Return to the pot.
Add in the rest of the corn, dairy, and spices! Stir well and let it simmer on low for 30 minutes or so. You can serve right away if needed though.
I particularly like to eat this topped with homemade sourdough croutons (though any croutons or crusty bread will work) and roasted vegetables like cherry tomatoes and zucchini!
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. I do not recommend freezing this because of the amount of dairy in the soup.
Other Great Soup Recipes:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 sweet onion diced
- 2 large poblanos diced
- 2 bags frozen corn see note
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 cups stock or water
- 1.5 cups half n half
- 8 oz pepperjack cheese
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Croutons, cotija cheese, and roasted veggies to top
- Melt the butter and cook the onions and poblanos down in a dutch oven or heavy pot.
- Add in the cilantro and 1.5 of the bags of corn and stock/water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low simmer.
- Add the mix to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Return to the pot.
- Add in the remaining corn, the dairy, and spices. Stir well and let simmer on low until ready to serve
- Top with croutons, roasted veggies, and cotija cheese!