Lentil and Veggie Soup
This lentil and veggie soup for babies and the family is an easy way to make dinner for everyone. It was an instant hit with Arden (6.5 months at the time) and was a hit with the adults too! This is also dairy free for any allergies out there.
See the instagram post here
Introducing New Foods!
I wanted to introduce little man to lentils but wasn’t sure how I wanted to do it. I had honestly never had lentils before so I wasn’t sure I’d even like them! But we know I love to try and serve whatever we’re eating to him, so I was excited to try this one. It was an INSTANT hit. His favorite food so far!
Here’s what I followed for more info on lentils.
What you’ll need for this Lentil and Veggie Soup for Babies and the Family
- Large dutch oven or stove top pot
- Cutting board to chop your veggies
- An immersion blender or high powdered blender
- Olive oil
- Small onion, diced
- Carrots, diced
- Celery stalks, diced
- Bunch of bok choy, ends diced (leaves saved for later)
- Garlic cloves, minced
- Green lentils
- 1 container (32oz) low sodium vegetable broth
- Russet potato, diced
- Sweet potato, diced
- Curry powder
- Coconut milk
- Lacinato kale
How to make this one pot soup for everyone
Dice the veggies and mince the garlic. Measure out the rest of the ingredients (measurements in recipe card below).
Heat the pot or dutch oven to medium heat and add in the olive oil. Saute the veggies and garlic until soft – about 5 minutes or so. Add in everything else except the kale, bok choy leaves, and coconut milk.
Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Let it simmer for 30 minutes.
Add the greens and coconut milk.
Remove the baby’s portion and either blend it or keep it as is.
Add in the salt and stir. Remove about 1/3 and blend it and add it back to the soup for a creamy texture.
Enjoy with some bread if you so choose!
To save for later: cool soup entirely and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3-4 months.
Other Great Soup Options:
Lentil Soup for Babies and the Family
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 bunch bok choy diced, save the greens for later
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups green lentils
- 1 container 32 oz vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 russet potato diced
- 1 sweet potato diced
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 bunch lacinato kale
- 1 tbsp kosher salt added after baby's portion removed
- Cook down the diced veggies in a little olive oil.
- Add in everything else except the kale, bok choy leaves, and coconut milk.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Let it simmer for 30 minutes
- Add the greens and coconut milk.
- Remove the baby’s portion and either blend it or keep it as is.
- Add in the salt and stir
- Remove about 1/3 and blend it and add it back to the soup for a creamy texture. Enjoy with some bread if you so choose!