Beef and Veggie Soup
One time when I went down to New Orleans to visit my parents, my dad made this epic beef and veggie soup. His was really simple – basically everything thrown in the pot and boiled/cooked down. It was brothy and tasty and I craved it when I got back home. But me being me, I had to make a beef and veggie soup with a little more pizazz.
See the instagram post here
Beef and Veggie Soup for All
I particularly like making this beef and veggie soup after a big trip. All the vegetables just really feel necessary after travel, and the beef adds the perfect protein to the mix.
As always, I use Solid Starts to double check foods against my baby’s age for introduction.
What you’ll need for this Beef and Veggie Soup
- Large dutch oven or stove top pot
- Cutting board to chop your veggies
- Stew beef, sliced thin
- Sweet onion
- Bell pepper
- Garlic cloves
- Sweet potato
- Russet potato
- Small bag of frozen “mixed vegetables”
- Crushed tomatoes in a can
- Low sodium vegetable broth
- Italian Seasoning
- Green cabbage
- Any beans you desire
How to make this soup
Heat a big soup pot to medium heat and add a little olive oil. Brown the stew beef in batches and set aside on a plate.
Dice the veggies.
Add in the onion and bell pepper and cook a couple minutes until soft. Add in the zucchini and garlic and cook another minute or two.
Stir in everything else, bring to a low boil and then reduce to simmer. Add the meat back in. Simmer for at least an hour. I did 2 and it turned out even better!
To save for later: cool soup entirely and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Other Great Soup Options:
Beef and Veggie Soup
- 1 lb stew beef
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 russet potato peeled and diced
- 1 small bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 32 oz low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 head green cabbage sliced or diced
- 1-2 cans beans any you like, optional
- salt to taste
- Heat a big soup pot to medium heat and add a little olive oil. Brown the stew beef in batches and set aside on a plate
- Add in the onion and bell pepper and cook a couple minutes until soft. Add in the zucchini and garlic and cook another minute or two
- Stir in everything else, bring to a low boil and then reduce to simmer.
- Add the meat back in. Simmer for at least an hour. I did 2 and it turned out even better!
- Salt to taste. Remove baby's portion if needed before salting. Enjoy!